School: The Washington College of Law at American University
Degree: JD 1990
Foreign Language: Spanish
Manuel Portela Esq. is the founding partner of The Portela Law Firm,
P.C. He specializes in Corporate and Commercial Law, Criminal Defense
and Personal Injury.
After graduating from Fordham University with honors and earning a law
degree from American University Washington College of Law, Mr. Portela
accepted an appointment as an Assistant District Attorney at the Kings
County District Attorney's Office in New York. During his tenure as an
Assistant District Attorney, he received extensive training and
instruction in the Criminal Court Bureau, Early Case Assessment
Bureau, Felony Investigations Bureau and the Supreme Court Bureau.
Among the Felony and Misdemeanor cases that he successfully won, he
resolved thousands of cases through effective plea negotiations. After
his resignation Mr. Portela diversified his practice representing
businesses as well as individuals.
Manuel Portela launched The Portela Law Firm, P.C. with the aim of
fighting relentlessly to assert and protect the interest of his
clients as well as providing professional and compassionate
representation to New York's diverse population.
Work Experience, Certifications and awards:
- King County Assistant District Attorney, Senior Trial Attorney (1990-1995)
- American University International Law Journal, Senior Editor
- New York Federal Reserve Bank, 1986, Division: Domestic Bank
- Examinations - Domestic Bank Examiner
- Michael J. Clemente, Esq.
- Federal Criminal Defense:
Business Law and Licensing:
The Attorneys at The Portela Law Firm, P.C. are members of
the following Professional Organizations:
- Board of Director, Lex Owner's Corp. 2005-2008
- American Immigration Law Association, 2008-2009
- Board of Director and Cofounder of the Inwood and Marble Hill Chamber of Commerce, 2008-2009
- Vice President of the U.S. Latin Chamber of Commerce, 2009-2010
- Queens County Bar Association
- Kings County Bar Association
The information on this website is for general information purposes only.
Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation.
This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.
The Portela Law Firm, P.C., (212) 965-9458 | (212) 927-7363 | (718) 424-5000, manuel [at] portelalaw [dot] com
Copyright © 2013, The Portela Law Firm, P.C.